Please send any additional information that you think would be of interest concerning the church, and any corrections, etc. to the web editor via the e-mail link at the foot of this page.
A Little History
A temporary church of St. Columba was dedicated in 1914, and this building is now the church hall. The first part of a permanent church in brick was dedicated in 1929, but this church was destroyed by bombs in 1943. On 17th September 1960 the current church building, incorporates parts of the walls and piers of the bombed building. was consecrated.
Past Vicars of St. Columba's
- Philip Goodey (2011 - 2015)
- William Mather (2005 - 2010)
- Stephen Walker (1999 - 2004)
- Peter Harrison (1984-1999) (Later Archdeacon of the East Riding)
- Jack Reed (1966-83)
- Jim Roxburgh (1956- ?) (Later Bishop of Barking)
- Charles Robert Forder (1947-55) (Later Archdeacon of York)
- Edward Arthur Berry (1914-47) (Grandfather of Mary Berry of the BBC's "Great British Bake Off")
Famous Drypool Links
- Lorelli Hilliard (2006-2010) - became Vicar of St John the Evangelist in Nelson, Lancashire
- Darren McClintock (2001-4) - became Vicar of St Luke's, Bilton, Harrogate
- Martyn Westby (1998-2001) - became Vicar of St Michael's, Cherry Burton, E. Yorks.
- Jonathan Evans (1995?-8?) - became Vicar of St Nicholas, Beverley, E. Yorks.
- David Christie (1992?-5) - became Vicar of St. Patrick's Church, Patrick Brompton, N. Yorks.
- Mike Croft (1988-91) - became Vicar of St Catherine's, Sandal, W. Yorks.
- Trevor Davidson (1985-88)
- between 1950 to 1966,Roger Jackson, Dick Williams, Peter White, John Wheatly Price, Colon Renwick, Jim Deardon, Andrew Bailey
- That's as far back as I go. Any more for the list?
- Venn Diagrams
John Venn (1834-1923), logician and inventor of the Venn Diagram, was born in Drypool, son of Rev. Henry Venn, Rector of Drypool
- Am I not a Man and a Brother?
William Wilberforce MP, the famous anti-slavery campaigner was patron of Drypool Parish
- Film Magnate
J. Arthur Rank (1888-1972), of the Rank Organisation, was born at 371 Holderness Road in Drypool.
Isaac Reckitt founded Reckitt & Sons in Danson Lane, Drypool in 1840, selling starch. The factory has grown a bit since then, and is the location for Reckitt & Colman's U.K. pharmaceuticals factory as well as its main U.K. office.
- Any more? Send them in.