DrypoolChurch from the north in 182. From a lithograph
[Click image for larger version]
Another member of this provincial" Clapham Sect" was Thomas Dykes, founder and first Incumbent of St. John's Church, Hull, who came to Hull to consult J oseph Milner. After the latter's death in 1797 he succeeded him as Leader of the group. He in turn attracted to Hull John Scott, vicar ofSt. Mary's (1816-1834), whose father, Thomas, the celebrated Rector of Ashton Sandford and Commentator on the Bible, was also co-founder with John Venn, of the Church Missionary Society. A prominent layman was Avison Terry, and one of the first fruits of their work was the building of a district church in Sculcoates to serve the rapidly growing population there. In order to ensure a "Gospel Minister" in this parish, which at that time suffered from a non-resident vicar, they kept the patronage in their own hands, and guaranteed it by forming a Trust. When the Reform Bill made it impossible for Corporations to hold Church patronage, a trust on similar lines to those of Charles Simeon was formed to administer Holy Trinity, Hull and North Ferriby.
THE RE-BUII..DING OF THE PARISH CHURCH
There are two pictures which show what the mediaeval church was like. The first of these (Plate IV) is a lithograph, published by Rodwell & Martin of London in May, 1823. This is a view from the north and shows what is obviously a three-cell church, comprising an aisleless nave of three bays, with a tiny chancel and squat west tower with hogs back roof. The middle bay of the nave has a Norman recessed doorway of five orders. The windows of the nave are insertions and have Geometric tracery of c. 1350, whilst the east window and those of the tower are rather later. The second picture is an oil painting by Thomas Fairburn Wilson, now in the Wilberforce House Museum. It is reproduced by permission of the Museum's Committee (Plate I). The view is from the south, and shows a brick porch of