St. Andrew's Church, Drypool, 1960, Exterior
[Click image for larger version]
Southcoates had a small school and school house built in 1855 by a grant of money from Eleanor Scott's Charity. In the early eighteenth century, rents from a farm of 36 acres had been left by that lady to the roor of Southcoates. The school was later administered by the Local Authority, but a yearly grant of £25 is made to the parish either for the fabric of the Day Schools or for Sunday School work.
Since the late War a new Primary School has been opened in Westcott Street. This is an Aided School and was built by ported payments from the War Damage Commission for seven Church Schools in the Deanery, so it is a Deanery School. A Secondary Modern School, the Alderman Cogan School, has been built in Whitworth Street. This is a Special Agreement School, and was financed partly by the Diocese and partly from the old Alderman Cogan Trust, founded in 1753.
THE BUILDING OF ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH
The growth of population was further stimulated by the coming of railways and the extension of the docks. In 1850, Victoria Dock was opened, and four years later the parish got its own station, when the Hull and Holderness Railway built its Victoria terminus, by the side of Hedon Road. New streets were cutting into the fields of Summergangs and there was a sort of pincer movement of peoples along the two main roads which ran through the parish.
A mission room was opened in Beeton Street in 1856 and licensed for services pending the building of a new church. A site for the latter was given by G. W. and M. W. Liddell, Esquires, and Messrs. Adams & Kelly were appointed as architects. The church, which was Geometric Decorated in style, is of brick with stone dressings. It is cruciform, a nave of six bays, with chancel terminating in an apse. The design allowed for a tower with broach spire over the south porch, but this was